Wednesday, May 22, 2013

All hail the locking pliers



I like to consider myself a man worth a grain of salt, so I have a basic tool kit with all your essentials: screwdrivers, wrenches, tape measure, flashlight, allen wrench, nuts, bolts, screws, etc. But the one item that I've used time and time again over the past few weeks? The locking pliers. Let me tell you why.

1) They hold stuff of all sizes tightly. Last week I needed to fix my toilet, as the lever arm inside the tank somehow snapped off. I needed to pinch the chain together tightly so I could affix the nut to the back of the tank without the chain falling off. It was tough to do with my big ol' paws but once I was able to get the locking pliers in place...boom. I was able to get it fixed in just a few short minutes.

2) They can grip tighter than a needle nose pliers. I was trying to open up my shed after the winter and broke the key off in the lock in the process. I didn't know how I was going to get my shed open until I grabbed my locking pliers and pinched the very tip of the broken key with the very tip of the locking pliers. That little morsel of key was all that I needed to pry the broken key loose and use the spare key to open the shed.

3) They can pick up things I can't reach. I dropped a sock behind the drier and couldn't reach it, even with my long arms, I needed about three or four extra inches. Boom. Locking pliers came in to save the day.

I don't know why I thought about this, but I've come to appreciate the ingenuity that is the locking pliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment