Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Boston Bombings

The verdict in the Boston Marathon bombing case came down today, and it surprised no one: Dzokhar Tsarnaev was convicted on all 30 counts that he was up against. The only question now is whether or not he will die via capital punishment or if he'll rot away in prison.

Of course there are some people rejoicing that justice was served, but for some, those wounds are not healed. I follow a few members of the Boston media on twitter, and one said "As a Bostonian, runner & someone at the marathon on 4/15/13, today strangely brings no feelings of satisfaction. Just a terrible tragedy."



From well over 1,000 miles away, it's hard to truly empathize with what went on within that community, so I can only speak to what my experiences were here in La Crosse today. I remember it vividly because I was still a relative newbie to radio (even moreso than I am now), and I remember selfishly thinking "how am I going to handle this on the air?"

I also remember how unique the event was in that it played out in real time both on television and social media as well. Watching a literal manhunt develop on the internet was fascinating, although I hope we never have to do something again.

Special thoughts and prayers go out today to the families off all affected by the bombings almost two years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment