Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Birdman

I went to go see Birdman at Marcus Cinemas last night because it looked really interesting to me, and I liked the idea of how it might parallel Michael Keaton's real life. I'm a big Keaton fan, from his work in the late 80s/early 90s Batman movies through the hilarious The Other Guys, so I figured I'd give this movie a shot.

I still have no idea what I watched.

Stay with me here for a second: I felt like the movie was one that critics felt like they should like. If that makes sense.

Here's a review I found from the Oregon Daily Emerald:

Birdman is unlike any other film in theaters this year. It raises many more questions than it answers. Like the spastic, percussive score that pounds throughout the film, it’s electrifying. It’s profoundly original, from the opening take to the last curtain fall.


That's a fair review. But it's really unlike anything I watched before. It's a complicated movie and obviously very personal, with dizzying camera sequences and pulsating noise/music throughout. I went with my roommate, and multiple times throughout the movie, we looked at each other and asked what the hell we were watching.

The acting is great: Keaton, Edward Norton, Zach Galifianakis, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts and other can bring great performances when given unique characters. And that certainly fits the bill.

Check out the trailer here:

No comments:

Post a Comment