Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Air Hockey Robot

I know it's still kinda early, but I think I just discovered my life's calling.

For a few months, I've had an air hockey table in my apartment in lieu of a kitchen table (or really any floor space) and it's been great. Have never regretted the purchase. It's nice to be able to take on friends with the hope and dream that one day I will be the greatest air hockey player in the world.

And then I see this: A creation that is sure to be the bane of all air hockey-obsessed teenagers everywhere, Japanese researchers at Chiba University’s Namiki Laboratory have developed a robot that is skillful, agile, and intelligent enough not only to compete against human players, but to analyze playing styles and use appropriate strategies against its opponents. The Namiki Lab, already known for its work in high-speed tracking, has built on their compiled data and created an agile robot which has the potential, quite insanely, to beat any human at the famous arcade game.
 
Japan...seriously? Why do you have to crush my hopes and dreams like that. From now on, the theme of my life is Terminator 4 (or 5 or 6 or whatever incarnation they're on): Fall of the Japanese Air Hockey Death Robot.


No comments:

Post a Comment