Thursday, September 25, 2014

Jimi Hendrix

I'm a big movie guy, and when that genre crosses paths with classic rock, sign me up.

I'm pumped for Jimi: All Is By My Side, which features musician Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix. It's gonna be good.

Andre Benjamin as Jimi Hendrix (courtesy of The Telegraph)

Here's a snippet from a recently released Rolling Stone article, the rest of which can be read here:

In Jimi: All Is By My Side, set for a Sept. 26th release, Benjamin takes on a crucial year in the life of the iconic rock guitarist, as Hendrix was being discovered and embraced by the London music scene in 1966-67. He lost 20 pounds for the role "because I am not naturally a skinny man," studied Hendrix interview footage, learned to play guitar left-handed before four weeks of rehearsals and six weeks of filming.

"To get that gait, to move in that way, I had to feel that way. I worked out twice a week, and ate just enough calories to keep myself going," Benjamin recalled. "Guitar training was strenuous because I’m a right-handed guitar-player. Left-handed is completely opposite. It’s like walking backwards."



Talk about commitment to the role.

No comments:

Post a Comment