Friday, January 10, 2014

Stop Signs

I like to think of myself as a pretty good driver. I'm not perfect (and neither are you), but in my 10 years of driving (yup, I'm not that old) I've been in one accident, gotten two tickets and only been pulled over one other time. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.



However, this morning, on the way to work, I almost got T-boned by a pick-up truck. I'd venture to say it wasn't my fault, but it really wasn't the other guy's fault as well. It was an intersection within my neighborhood where there isn't a stop sign or yield sign restricting traffic in any direction. Now, 99% of the time there's nobody coming perpendicular to me as I'm driving through my neighborhood. This morning, however, was one of that one percent of times where there was someone coming.

Luckily, we both skidded to a stop and avoided a collision by probably about two feet, or maybe even less. It was enough to get my heart really pumping and my mind racing for the rest of my drive in. I got angry at the city for a while too. Why doesn't every intersection have at least a yield sign for someone? I know that there's the whole "right of way" but come one, how hard would it be?

I got lucky this morning, but I imagine there are people every day who don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment