Monday, January 14, 2013

Lance Armstrong




I know Lance Armstrong has done some things that are wrong, but he is by no means a bad person. For starters, cycling is a dirty sport. Year after year, from the Tour de France to big events like the Olympic Games, it is revealed that people are cheaters. Blood doping, human growth hormones, whatever. I'm not a scientist, but I know that the vast majority of recent winners (granted many of those events were won by Armstrong) have been disqualified. The sport is dirty and full of cheaters. I think that says something about the sport more than anything. It's the culture that has been cultivated over recent history in the sport. Armstrong just happened to be faster on a bike when he cheated.

This doesn't mean that Lance is a bad person. His Livestrong charity has done so much good, and there's no doubt that it was basically a miracle that Armstrong was able to beat cancer and ride his bike competitively. And blood doping or not, winning those 7 straight Tour de France is downright impressive. But that should not take away from what Livestrong has done. Yes, it started off as the Lance Armstrong Foundation, but Livestrong has become so much more than just its founder and spokesman. I still wear my Livestrong bracelet in my support of the fight against cancer, and I have no intentions of taking it off any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment