Monday, March 10, 2014

Cosmos

I had seen a great deal of pre-promotion for the Fox show/reboot "Cosmos" that debuted last night with host Neil DeGrasse Tyson. It was one of those things where I was interested in the content matter, sure, but it was also that I felt like people would be talking about it today and I wanted to be up-to-date on the latest pop culture buzz. I feel like in my realms that it hasn't really taken off, but I have seen some people post on social media and people say they "meant to watch it" or "have it sitting on the DVR." So maybe it will be a slow build that starts to snowball into something more? Who knows.

Anyways, the show felt like I was a child at the planetarium. With animation, graphics and lots of colors, Tyson went about illustrating the history of the universe that felt more like a story than a lecture. It's science that you don't typically see on television these days, while the History and Discovery channels are being cluttered with Pawn This and Redneck That.


I found an interesting quote from Fox chairman Kevin Reilly, per the LA Times:

"Cosmos" may be an unusually intellectual project for mainstream TV, but it also grapples with subjects that are, in the most literal sense of the word, universal. And in an era of dwindling audiences, "Cosmos" is the type of bold event programming that networks are willing to try to retain viewers who might otherwise flee to cable or online services like Netflix.

It did strike me as bold, but I wouldn't qualify it as "appointment television" that one must watch week in and week out. But for those who are interested, they would be very captivated. Does that make sense? It's worth an hour of your time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment