Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Countdown to April



Although for some it's a shorter holiday week, it has the feeling of being a one of the longer weeks of the year. I have this inkling that once we turn the corner to April on Monday, we can finally put winter behind us. Here's a shortlist of why I think April is going to be the bee's knees.
1) Baseball season: Opening Day is the first day of April, and while it is my favorite day of the year, it does officially signal the end of Winter to many. There's no place I'd rather be than Miller Park to kick off the baseball season, and I'm happy to be heading there again. Charcoal grills, cold brews and America's past time - I'm kind of excited.

2) Bike rides - I got into biking last year with the Tour de Pearl, and I never realized how awesome the Coulee Region is for bike rides. I had never gone more than five or six miles on a bike, and by the end of the summer, I found myself riding upwards of 30 miles at a time.

3) Beer, Wine and Cheese - While Opening Day is my favorite day of the year, the Between the Bluffs Beer Wine and Cheese Fest certainly ranks in my top 5. It's tough to argue with Christmas, my birthday and baseball, but a day filled with tasty cheeses and cold brews is hard to argue with.

4) Grilling - Whereas some folks may wait for temperatures in the 60s to head outdoors and bust out the grill, I know plenty of Wisconsinites that grill all season long. For most though, consistent temperatures in the high 40s and low 50s are plenty warm enough to fire up the grill. Many times for me, my first grilling session coincides with Opening Day, and I cannot wait to enjoy some burgers, brats and sweet corn on the grill as soon as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment