Thursday, June 20, 2013

Pop Fly Hero

It's like a scene straight out of a movie. Cristina Torre, whose only claim to fame is that her father Joe is a MLB legend, caught a baby falling out out of a second story window, not unlike an outfielder catching a pop fly. Here's a snippet from the New York Post (who buried the lead, but I found the nuts and bolts.)

Dylan, the little child Torre saved from serious injury or worse, had pushed a cardboard barrier out a second-floor window, and then crawled onto the fire escape, a source said.
He then tumbled onto the awning and through the hole for the ladder before landing in Cristina’s arms, sources said.

Like an outfielder judging a fly ball, Torre said she picked a spot on the sidewalk where Dylan seemed to be headed.

"I just was positioning myself where I thought he might fall. I feel fortunate that he landed right in my arms,” she said of the precious pop fly she snagged.

“It was effortless to catch him. Once it was happening, he was landing."

Craziness. It feels like it's straight out of the movies. Good on Cristina for being alert and becoming quite the hero in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment