Tuesday, December 31, 2013

American Hustle

If you want to be entertained by a cast of compelling characters and a convoluted story line, go check out American Hustle.



I saw it at Marcus Theatres last night and came away loving Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence even more than I did going in. They each had outstanding performances, and I wouldn't be surprised to see any or all of them get respect come award season.

But the acting is so good and the plot is just a bit too complicated that it felt like something was missing. I can't put a finger on exactly what it was, but I don't see it winning Best Picture for winning. It was entertaining, but not a masterpiece, per se. I'm kind of being nitpicky, but so will the Oscar voters. (This article kind of sums up my thoughts exactly).

And with four such established starts, I at least have a hard time of remembering what their names are in the movie. If someone asked me for details from the plot line, I'd describe it as "Christian Bale and Amy Adams did this" rather than using their character's names. I still don't really know what they were.

All and all, I'm glad I went and checked it out. There's many other movies that might appear at the Oscars (Captain Phillips, 12 Years a Slave, Monuments Men, Wolf of Wall Street, etc.) but I'm glad I got that one checked off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment