Monday, April 21, 2014

Boston Marathon

I've learned quite a bit about the Boston Marathon in the past year, especially about how important today, Patriots Day, is to the city and the community. The events last year were tragic, and it was good to see Boston rebound this year bigger and better than ever.

That being said...

Those runners are crazy! I saw that a guy I knew from college ran the marathon today in 3:04. That's a SEVEN MINUTE MILE average for 26.2 miles. I don't think I could run a seven minute mile if my life depended on it. And he was no where near the winning times!
4-21-14-meb-flag
Photo from USA Today Sports

It took the winning male 2 hours and 8 minutes (congratulations Meb! First American male to win since 1983) to win. That pace is better than five minutes per mile. Pure insanity.

It's the most primitive of sports - no equipment is needed - yet I'm fascinated by it.

Congrats to all who competed today. You're all crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment