Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Sochi Olympics

I have a long sports bucket list, and on that list is to attend events at both the summer and winter Olympics. I wasn't in a position to be able to afford to go to Vancouver in 2010 (still in college) or Atlanta in 1996 (I was 8), but I know they'll make their way back to North America soon. Heck, if the circumstances are right, a trip to Korea for the winter Olympics in 2018 or Tokyo for the summer games in 2020 isn't out of the question.

But Russia? Nothing about that sounds like a tourist destination.I'm adventurous, sure, and like to explore new places, but I want to know with relative certainty that I'll make it home alive. If I'm gonna drop a pretty penny to go to the Olympics, I want to experience a little more of the region too. Nothing about Sochi, Russia sounds appealing.


I'm not surprised that attendance is down, but this might be the real reason people stay home.

Via CNN:

More than half of Americans think a terrorist attack on the Games is likely, a poll shows. The results of the CNN/ORC poll come a day after U.S. officials said they had specific reasons to worry about security in Russia. Games was likely. Of those surveyed for the CNN/ORC poll, 57% said a trrorist attack on the Sochi Games was likely.

That poll is saying that a terrorist attack isn't just possible. But likely. I feel the same way but boy, do I hope I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment